Senior Portfolio Strategies Analyst - Omaha, NE
Job no: 497526
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Investment Management
Mutual of Omaha is an 111-year old institution that takes pride in the service of its policyholders and employees. The Investment Management Operation is responsible for managing over $27 billion of general account assets, and utilizes a sophisticated cross-asset strategy to fulfill the needs of the company’s diverse array of insurance products and customers.
The Sr. Portfolio Strategies Analyst will support the portfolio management team in implementing both strategic and tactical investment strategies to maximize income and ensure capital preservation for the enterprise. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with a range of personnel, from experienced traders and portfolio managers in the front office, to finance and insurance professionals across the company. The ideal candidate will have experience working with large data sets using programming languages such as Python, SQL, VBA, or R, have experience with quantitative investment methods, and be interested in liability-driven portfolio management and leadership in the department.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Contributes to the quantifiable performance of the investment portfolios.
- Supports ongoing developments in the strategic asset allocation (SAA) and, with instruction from Portfolio Strategies, provides market-based research in support of tactical allocation mismatches from the SAA.
- Creates reports that help coordinate the deployment of investments across verticals to ensure the proper deployment of cash, the proper funding of liabilities, and the dollar amounts and security characteristics align with the overall strategy or tactical positioning of the portfolio
- Supports the relationship management function of managing the portfolios of Investment Management Clients and the Enterprise. This includes executing an effective communication strategy (including periodic meetings and reporting) surrounding the strategic construction, tactical positioning, and performance of the investment portfolios.
- Contributes to the research, development, and recommendation of tactical investment opportunities and strategies based upon current and expected future market conditions. Works with Portfolio Strategies leadership to promote growth and enhance profitability given current business strategies.
- Builds and maintains internal and external relationships to collect additional insights on investment strategies, current market risks and opportunities, and asset-liability matching.
- Demonstrates independent and productive thought on the risks and merits of investment strategies and actively participates in group discussions to generate value added ideas.
- Coordinates with Investment Risk Management to measure and monitor the risk profiles of the investment portfolios in compliance with the Written Plan for Investments, the Investment Policy Statement, the Derivatives Use Plan, Client or Enterprise specific portfolio risk guidelines, and any applicable laws and regulations.
- Reports on the use of operating leverage in the portfolio, including risks and performance of any applicable leverage programs.
- Collaborates with the Finance Department on liquidity analysis, borrowing programs, capital usage, and corporate planning through effective analysis and communication.
- Ensures compliance with such the various investment policies applicable to Investment Management Operations, including the reporting of policy results, as well as supporting the development of proposed policy changes.
- Accurately reports the risk characteristics and income profile (including ancillary income from collateral usage) of each investment type.
- Promotes, demonstrates, and preserves an environment of collaboration within Investment Management and the Enterprise by leading by example, listening to the voice of the customer and employee, and coaching colleagues to embrace innovation and openness to change. Promotes organizational goals and strategic initiatives within Investment Management by engaging and interacting with other members of the department and across the Enterprise.
- Strengthens the overall skill set and knowledge base within Investment Management. Helps coach employees across all levels to enhance the operational effectiveness of Investment Management.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field.
- Strong knowledge, understanding and experience with portfolio management, credits and credit worthiness.
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, pride and ownership of work product, strength of conviction and desire to succeed.
- Sound understanding of the investment markets.
- Experience with financial statement analysis.
- Familiarity with cashflow modeling.
- Strong ethics and integrity.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; an ability to interact with and influence others and work across disciplines and outside of reporting lines.
- Strong problem solving, analytical and business management skills; participates in and develops proposals based on analysis and research.
- Ability to help Investment Management achieve strategic goals.
- Ability to analyze high-level risks and the valuation of assets
- Ability to influence others.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- You help promote a culture of diversity and inclusion within the department and the larger organization. You value different ideas and opinions. You listen courageously and remain curious in all that you do.
- You are able to work remotely and have access to high-speed internet.
- Advanced business degree.
- Commitment to successful completion of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) examination program and receipt of the CFA designation
- Strong sense of portfolio risk and operational awareness.
- Willingness to develop leadership skills.
- Knowledge of one or more programming languages and the ability to utilize large data sets to draw analytics-based conclusions
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A diverse workplace where associates feel a sense of belonging
- An organization that feels like a small, close-knit community and has the strength of a Fortune 500 company
- Tuition reimbursement, training and career development
- Competitive salary, incentives, 401(k), flexible work schedules and a healthy amount of time off
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha serves more than 4.8 million individual product customers and 39,000 employer groups. Our legacy of stability creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career path.
From day one, you’ll have the tools to be your best self at work. Here you’ll do meaningful work and your talents will have a positive impact on peoples’ lives as we help our customers protect what they care about and achieve their financial goals.
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse, dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become engaged … feel a sense of belonging … and contribute to the company’s exceptional future.
Join forces with a company that can AMPLIFY YOUR STRENGTHS AND EMPOWER YOUR CAREER.
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST we will reply within 24 hours.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now