Data Analytics Actuary - Omaha, NE
Job no: 496683
Work type: Full Time Regular
We are seeking a creative and driven individual to join the Experience Study arm of the Data Analytics team within our Corporate Actuarial area. This individual will work collaboratively with the unit to develop our analytical platform, construct various actuarial assumptions, and support stakeholders throughout the enterprise. This work will facilitate the transition of the Experience Study function to the next level of adaptability and applicability. Effective candidates will have experience working with large relational data sets and have a passion for learning and applying those lessons.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages the creation of experience studies across various product lines, completed in a timely manner with robust documentation and a focus on reproducibility.
- Develops experience study and assumption setting standards, providing guidance on standard practices, credibility, and modeling methods.
- Collaborates with actuarial and business partners throughout the enterprise to develop a clear and well-defined purpose for our analytics that drives business outcomes or reveals business opportunities.
- Builds relationships with actuarial and business partners for the purposes of consultation, drive adoption of novel analytical methods and techniques, and to develop data assets to support a variety of analytical initiatives.
- Craft and communicate the story of the underlying data and analytics to a variety of constituencies.
- Develops improvements to actuarial models, methods, procedures, and systems and keeps abreast of legislative and other changes to determine their effect on assumptions and formulas.
- May have direct reports and engage in human resource management functions such as coaching, performing appraisals, and handling other HR administrative tasks. May review the work of actuarial students in the execution of specific projects or tasks.
- May have an opportunity to participate in recruiting college candidates for professional Actuarial positions and serve on Company committees in an actuarial adviser capacity.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
This job posting is reflective of the Managing Actuary essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Actuarial Associate level has variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- Substantial experience in some variation of SQL (T-SQL, DB2, Teradata, amongst others).
- Strong problem-solving skills, a high level of intellectual curiosity, and an ability to work effectively with ambiguous requirements.
- Potential to self-direct and work independently at times, as well as collaborate with a small team of talented individuals.
- Thorough background in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Economics and/or Computer Science.
- Seasoned knowledge of advanced actuarial assumptions and formulae and in-depth knowledge and understanding of actuarial and statistical sciences, economics, or computer sciences.
- Aptitude for statistical interpretation, a strong knowledge of advanced actuarial assumptions and formulae and accounting practices.
- Attainment of ASA designation.
- Excellent human relations and oral and written communication skills, analytical and decision-making abilities, and sound judgment.
- Product and industry knowledge.
- Proficient in at least one general purpose coding language (examples include Python, VB, Java, amongst others).
- Masters/PhD in an analytically driven field, such as Actuarial Science, Economics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science and/or Mathematics.
- Attainment of FSA designation.
- Leadership, communication, and presentation skills coupled with a strong work ethic and proven record of accountability and ownership over work projects.
- Business acumen and judgement to identify impactful trends, industry developments, and emerging issues requiring attention and elevation.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now