Manager Project Portfolio (Emerging and Strategic Solutions) - Omaha, NE
Job no: 496613
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Project Management/Business Analyst
|Facilitates the Emerging and Strategic Solution's (ESS) project portfolio decision-making process for selecting, optimizing, and executing projects all based on the organization's strategic plan and available resources. Supports the ESS Project Management Office (PMO) by providing project managers and business analysts with the processes, standards, tools, and training by portfolios, projects, and resources to be managed, selected, and monitored. Provides direction, control, and improvement of services for a department level function supporting the PMO. Accountable for the results of the team(s) related to compliance with applicable policy, procedure, guidelines, and law.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans, organizes, staffs, and controls activities including: planning capital and human resource budgets; interviewing, selecting, and training staff; monitoring and appraising performance of staff to hold them accountable for end results; coaching and motivating staff; administering disciplinary action as needed; administering compensation to staff; ensuring that the unit or section complies with affirmative action guidelines.
- Develop and maintain an engaged and accountable workforce. Assures that work is monitored for quantity and quality, and that work improvements in performance and productivity are identified and implemented on a continuous basis.
- Oversees project request submission, project prioritization, portfolio balancing and resource allocation of projects, driving business impact and maximizing project portfolio value in alignment with the SBU's strategic objectives.
- Oversees project portfolio modeling and analysis of all proposed projects. Ensures all projects are executed based on established priorities and are within the capacity of the organization. Develops capacity planning and project portfolio results to communicate to Senior Management.
- Oversees project stakeholder commitment in securing actualization of project benefits. Ensures systems in place to capture cost/benefit comparisons and report actual benefits relative to intended benefits over the long term.
- Chairs project portfolio governance and resource meetings including planning entities internal and external to the SBU. Reviews Project Charters/Business Cases and supporting Cost Benefit documentation and makes recommendations.
- Facilitates annual and quarterly resource capacity planning for business and /S resources required to meet SBU planned initiatives. Makes recommendations to balance and optimize resource capacity planning outcomes.
- Reinforces project and portfolio management and business analyst processes, policies, and methodologies across the area to ensure consistency and utilization of methodology. Supports enterprise-wide tools and processes to enable standard project and portfolio status reporting. Supports the operation project portfolio budget, monitoring and reporting variances monthly.
- Oversees the development and ongoing maintenance of training programs using adult learning principles to assist business units with training options to support the staff and functions of the unit. Partners with management regarding training needs and maintains effective working relationships.
- Maintains knowledge of internal and external practices related to project and portfolio management, resource capacity planning and associated education and training programs. Researches, analyzes, and evaluates new and emerging technologies, practices, and methodologies in support of project and portfolio management. Consults with management to promote best practices and industry standards.
- Manages special projects related to financial and strategic reporting, business analyst, project and portfolio management processes and functions. May serve as a discipline consultant on committees as requested.
- Professional designation in Management and Business Analysis/Project Management or PMO preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Business Analysis and Project/Project Portfolio Management practices and techniques.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and negotiation skills and the ability to persuade others.
- Strong understanding of Financial and Accounting principles and applications.
- Knowledge of the insurance business, systems, and processes.
- Strong strategic, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to provide executive level analysis and recommendations on strategic project planning.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of management and build strong relationships.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Effective leadership and human resource skills.
- Extensive experience with computer applications.
- Ability to develop and operate within a budget.
- Ability to mentor, teach, or foster development in others.
- Ability to influence others.
- Experience with training program design and delivery of effective training in a variety of environments.
- Well-developed classroom/presentation skills.
- Project Management Certification
- PMO preferred
- Scaled Agile certification
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now