Java/Cloud Application Development (Workplace Solutions) – Omaha, NE
Job no: 496606
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Information Technology
As a Java/Cloud Application Developer, you’ve always had an eye toward the future. This job gives you the power to transform it. In a rare opportunity most developers never encounter in their careers, you’ll become part of a far-reaching initiative that will transform the workplace of your coworkers and the experience of our customers, making work more seamless and lives easier. You’ll be part of a team that will migrate Mutual of Omaha’s entire workload from a heritage, on-premise J2EE environment to the public cloud. This will involve, not a “lift and shift” or “cloud ready” exercise, but a full-blown ground-up design. You’ll help implement a 12-factor, domain-driven design. You’ll develop microservices and event-driven architecture. You’ll create a transformative user experience. While it goes without saying you’ll have access to technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, Grafana, Kafka, ELK, Lambda, Spring Boot and Groovy, this opportunity is much bigger than any platform. This is an opportunity for big-picture thinking. For changing mindsets. For realizing possibilities. And for using your skills and engineering excellence to make a meaningful difference. Combine your power with ours, and let the transformation begin.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop, maintain and integrate applications and systems that support business operations.
- Continuously improve the tools and languages used to develop, maintain and execute systems.
- Leverage approaches for designing, developing, testing, debugging applications and assist with issues.
- Understand the business, business objectives and current business challenges within your supported business area.
- Act as an internal consultant and mentor to more junior staff. Provide task-level leadership, guidance and direction.
- Comply with all Company Information Services policies and standards.
- Make sure appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented on technology solutions to protect Company data from intentional or accidental misuse.
- Pursue Operational Excellence in all endeavors, striving on a routine basis to identify and implement continuous process improvements.
- You’ll become a part of a unified I/S team, bonded by a common vision, acting with integrity, making decisions with our customers in mind, embracing change, taking ownership for results and trusting and supporting each other.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Experience writing code in a high-level language like Java, and scripting language like Python.
- Understanding of application lifecycle management.
- Ability to use a CI/CD pipeline to deploy applications on AWS.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile SAFe methodology.
- Test-driven and behavior-driven development.
- Ability to stay current with the evolving platform and understand how new AWS services can enrich our products.
- Familiarity with GIT and managing branching strategies.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Effective presentation, verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong analytical skills and sound decision-making abilities.
- Strong customer relations skills (with all levels of internal and external customers).
- Desire to take on & learn new technologies & applications.
- Ability to write code using security best practices.
- Self-starter – take ownership of applications & related technologies.
- Exposure to full-stack/enterprise applications with proficient knowledge in one or more areas.
- Demonstrates and ability to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies and identify opportunities for their use.
This job posting is reflective of the Java/Cloud Application Developer essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Analyst and Architect levels have variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
BONUS POINTS (relevant experience is a plus):
- Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, technology or related field preferred. AWS Certified Developer.
- Technologies: Java (Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate), JMS/ActiveMQ/Kafka, AngularJS/React.js, NodeJS, JSON, Cloud Technologies (preferably AWS)
- Experience with developing cloud native solutions on the AWS platform using services such as RDS, S3, IAM, Lambda, API Gateway
- Configured and implemented AWS tools such as CloudWatch, CloudTrail and aggregated system logs for monitoring.
- Creation and maintenance of CI/CD pipelines.
- Understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices.
- Proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS. Ability to use the AWS service APIs, AWS CLI, and SDKs to write applications.
- Ability to identify key features of AWS services.
- Understanding of the AWS shared responsibility model.
- Ability to use or interact with AWS services. Ability to apply a basic understanding of cloud-native applications to write code. Ability to author, maintain, and debug code modules on AWS.
- Proficiency writing code for serverless applications.
- Understanding of the use of containers in the development process.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A collaborative work environment where you and your team members will make a long-lasting impact on the organization.
- A robust compensation and benefits package; including flexible scheduling and work from home opportunities.
- We’re life long learners and we hope you are too. We offer various on and offsite training courses and support your personal and professional development.
- Don’t live in Omaha? No problem! We offer an attractive relocation package.
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha serves more than 4.6 million individual product customers and 36,000 employer groups. Our legacy of stability creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career path.
From day one, we you have the tools to be your best self at work. Here you’ll do meaningful work and your talents will have a positive impact on peoples’ lives as we help our customers protect what they care about and achieve their financial goals.
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse, dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become engaged … feel a sense of belonging … and contribute to the company’s exceptional future.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now