As a Java Developer / Senior Developer, you’ve always had an eye toward the future. This job gives you the power to transform it. In a rare opportunity, you’ll become part of a far-reaching initiative that will transform the workplace of your coworkers and the experience of our customers, making work more seamless and lives easier.
You’ll be part of a team that will migrate Mutual of Omaha’s entire workload from a heritage, on-premise J2EE environment to the public cloud. This will involve, not a “lift and shift” or “cloud ready” exercise, but a full-blown ground-up design.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop, maintain and integrate applications and systems that support business operations.
- Continuously improve the tools and languages used to develop, maintain and execute systems.
- Leverage approaches for designing, developing, testing, debugging applications and assist with issues.
- Understand the business, business objectives and current business challenges within your supported business area.
- Act as an internal consultant and mentor to more junior staff. Provide task-level leadership, guidance and direction.
- Pursue Operational Excellence in all endeavors, striving on a routine basis to identify and implement continuous process improvements.
- You’ll become a part of a unified I/S team, bonded by a common vision, acting with integrity, making decisions with our customers in mind, embracing change, taking ownership for results and trusting and supporting each other.
- Extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- Sitting over 66% of the time.
- Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
This job posting is reflective of the Application Developer essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Application Developer and Application Systems Analyst levels have variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- Experienced writing code in a high-level language like Java, and scripting language like Python.
- Ability to use a CI/CD pipeline to deploy applications on AWS.
- Experienced with Scrum/Agile methodology.
- Enjoys Test-driven and behavior-driven development.
- Stays current with the evolving platform and understand how new AWS services can enrich our products.
- Familiar with GIT and managing branching strategies.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong customer relations skills (with all levels of internal and external customers).
- Self-starter – take ownership of applications & related technologies.
- Exposure to full-stack/enterprise applications with proficient knowledge in one or more areas.
- Demonstrates and ability to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies and identify opportunities for their use.
- Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, technology or related field preferred.
- Technologies: Java (Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate), JMS/ActiveMQ/Kafka, AngularJS/React.js, NodeJS, JSON, Cloud Technologies (preferably AWS)
- Exposure to developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS.
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A Diverse workplace where associate feel a sense of belonging
- A company that feels like a small, close-knit community, with the strength of a Fortune 500
- Tuition reimbursement, training and career development
- Competitive salary, incentives, 401K, flexible work schedules and a healthy amount of time off
- Don’t live in Omaha? No problem! We offer an attractive relocation package
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha is a provider of insurance and financial services. Our legacy of stability creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career path. From day one, we you have the tools to be your best self at work. Here you’ll do meaningful work and your talents will have a positive impact on peoples’ lives as we help our customers protect what they care about and achieve their financial goals.
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse, dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become engaged … feel a sense of belonging … and contribute to the company’s exceptional future.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.