Manager, Underwriting (Workplace Solutions) - Chattanooga, TN
Job no: 496536
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Underwriting, Leadership
|Provides direction and oversees a team of supervisory and non-supervisory staff supporting underwriting functions to ensure the achievement of financial objectives including profitability, production and persistency of new and inforce business. Accountable for the results of team(s) in compliance with applicable policy, procedure, guidelines, and laws. Oversees, and may underwrite, the most complex new business cases in accordance with company's risk tolerance levels. Oversees the renewals on large or key accounts. Develops underwriting processes, standards and programs and reports results.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plan, staff, manage Underwriting department activities including all human resource management functions; determining the most effective staffing levels, scope of employee responsibility, and ensuring the hiring and development of employees in compliance with Corporate Affirmative Actions guidelines. Develop and maintain an engaged and accountable workforce with focus on continuous process improvement to increase sales & profitability. Develop and maintain a fair and equitable work environment.
- Establish and implement strategic vision for the department focusing on improved productivity, expenses and relationships with internal and external customers; Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives and procedures.
- Assures that objectives, standards, policies, and business plans for the underwriting department are established, implemented, reported and monitored.
- Assures that work is monitored for quantity and quality, and that work improvements in performance and productivity are identified and implemented on a continuous basis.
- Consults, reviews, authorizes decisions, oversees cases, underwrites, and/or assumes responsibility for presentations involving very large accounts with significant financial risk and Company visibility. Provides for technical assistance and training as necessary.
- Remains abreast of the competitive insurance environment, new and complex products, appropriate underwriting techniques and the constantly changing legislation that governs the business.
- May lead and/or participate in development and implementation of new processes. Serve as a member of various committees, task forces and special projects. May work with external vendors in support of department initiatives.
- This position requires up to 33% travel, which may include flying and/or driving and some overnight stays.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Seasoned underwriting experience and perspective to include a strong mathematical and financial aptitude for evaluating and predicting the financial risk of clients
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group life, disability and dental product lines
- Strong business acumen and industry knowledge, particularly regarding risk evaluation and selection and benefit design
- Good understanding of the laws, rules and regulations which impact employee benefits
- Action oriented and customer focused
- Strong ability to maintain composure, negotiate and resolve conflicts
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Commitment to active self-development and proactive technical and leadership learning
- Ability to operate, and provide input into the development of a budget
- Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize various software packages
- Ability to motivate and influence others to gain support, taking an unpopular stand when necessary
- Ability to build relationships through maintaining networks of contacts that are useful in achieving business results
- Ability to break down more complex problems into systematic parts for resolution
- Ability to build an effective team, manage and measure work and confront issues directly
- Ability to influence others and ensure compliance in a fair and equitable work environment
- Ability to travel to the field to visit the group offices, attend broker events, for training purposes, or other industry functions (conferences etc.)
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group critical illness and accident product lines
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics, mathematics, and/or related field; or equivalent experience in insurance industry
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now