Supervisor Chief Underwriter (Workplace Solutions) - Chattanooga, TN
Job no: 496535
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Underwriting, Leadership
Directly supervises a group of underwriters to ensure the achievement of financial objectives including profitability, production and persistency of new and inforce business. Oversees and may underwrite the most complex new business cases in accordance with company's risk tolerance levels. Evaluates renewal business and other rate and risk bearing analysis for existing clients within established approval limits. Reviews and approves the work of less experienced underwriters. Trains underwriters and monitors department workflow to ensure departmental goals are met.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plan, staff, manage Underwriting team activities including all human resource management functions; determining the most effective staffing levels, scope of employee responsibility, and ensuring the hiring and development of employees in compliance with company guidelines.
- Develops and maintains an engaged and accountable workforce with focus on continuous process improvement to increase sales & profitability.
- Develops and maintains a fair and equitable work environment. Communicates with salesforce, brokers, and/or other sources concerning underwriting decisions and procedures.
- Develops and maintains appropriate working relationships and rapport with internal and external business partners. Consults, reviews, authorizes decisions, oversees cases, and underwrites large, complex cases with significant financial risk.
- Provides technical assistance and training as necessary.
- Evaluates renewal business and other rate and risk bearing analysis for inforce groups.
- Assures that work is monitored for quantity and quality, and that work improvements in performance and productivity are identified and implemented on a continuous basis.
- Assists in assuring that objectives, guidelines, standards, policies, and business plans for the underwriting department are established, implemented, reported and monitored.
- Reviews industry publications and stays abreast of Federal, State and business regulations governing group insurance products.
- Performs as a subject matter expert on special projects in the division in support of continuous improvement of processes and systems.
- Must possess the ability to speak, negotiate, and explain our Company's position during face to face meetings or presentation with brokers and/or Employers.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Seasoned underwriting experience and perspective to include a strong mathematical and financial aptitude for evaluating and predicting the financial risk of clients
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group life, disability and dental product lines
- Strong business acumen and industry knowledge, particularly regarding risk evaluation and selection and benefit design
- Strong understanding of the laws, rules and regulations which impact employee benefits
- Action oriented and customer focused
- Strong ability to maintain composure, negotiate and resolve conflicts; ability to make quality decisions and justify the decisions with sound and logical reasoning
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Commitment to active self-development and proactive technical and leadership learning
- Proficient computer skills using various software packages including word-processing, spreadsheet, and electronic mail.
- Ability to build an effective team, manage and measure work and confront issues directly
- Ability to travel to the field to visit the group offices, attend broker events, for training purposes, or other industry functions (conferences etc.)
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group critical illness and accident product lines
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics, mathematics, and/or related field; or equivalent experience in insurance industry
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now