Systems Engineer/Adminstrator- Omaha, NE
Job no: 496350
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Information Technology
|Mutual of Omaha is looking for a Systems Engineer with solid systems administration experience. The ideal candidate’s skill set should include a high degree of expertise related to Enterprise Backups, along with functional understanding of enterprise storage systems. Duties will include ensuring health of backup system infrastructure, leveraging backup system capabilities, improving current processes through automation, and providing support, installation, integration, configuration and day-to-day operations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Review and influence ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for Operating Systems, Transactions Managers or Middleware installation.
- Participate in capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Participate in Systems Life Cycle Management through monitoring, measuring, maintaining Operating Systems, Transactions Managers, Enterprise Applications and Middleware software.
- Adhere to Change Management, Incident Management, Configuration Management policies and procedures.
- Manage and scale systems to meet business demands by providing a stable secure infrastructure
- Evaluates vendor supplied system software packages and make recommendations to IT management.
- Responsible for complying with all Company Information Services policies and standards.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented on technology solutions to protect Company data from intentional or accidental misuse.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
Individuals in this position have deep technical skills within a single domain and some breadth of knowledge across domains. They typically perform moderately complex systems activities independently within a single domain, but are occasionally inter-domain. In order to build a balanced organization with complementary skills, positions in this job family vary in the depth of technical skills and the breadth of knowledge, skills and competencies beyond one technology domain.
- 3-5 Years Professional experience or relevant work experience.
- Strong skills and working knowledge of Windows, Linux, AIX Server and TCP/IP, DNS, LDAP.
- Strong skills and knowledge related to:
- Managing and Configuring Enterprise Backup Infrastructure
- Experience in troubleshooting backup policies
- Experience in troubleshooting client related issues
- Managing and Configuring various level of storage systems
- Experience deploying Software Updates to Servers
- Experience troubleshooting Software Deployment and Software Updates
- Scripting languages such as PowerShell, VBScript, command shell or other
- Strong ability to troubleshoot, resolve problems and provide Level 3 support
- Functional understanding of DBASE backups
- Technical Knowledge: Strong understanding of assigned technologies with a focus on analysis, development, modification, installation, testing, maintenance, and documentation.
- Leadership and Authority: Gains authority through trust and respect and sets an example for coworkers; and delegates authority and tasks, and empowers subordinates to make decisions
- Communication: Communicates moderately complex technical concepts to technical audiences and area management and with business and I/S customers as needed to solve problems and install and test moderately complex technical components.
- Policies, Process and Procedures: Acts in accordance with established guidelines and follows processes and procedures.
- Teamwork: Works with peers, subordinates, Area management, and business customers to build positive relationships and maintain constructive working relationships.
- Initiative: Undertakes activities on their own; communicates status appropriately; anticipates subsequent activities and projects; keeps informed of technology and industry trends and learns and applies new skills and technologies.
- Creativity and Innovation: Sees the bigger picture and articulates multiple solutions to technical problems
- Decisiveness: Makes good technical and operational decisions and shows accountability for those decisions.
- Flexibility: Effectively deals with ambiguity, unexpected events, and changing business, application, and infrastructure requirements; juggles multiple activities, projects, and initiatives simultaneously; and manages technical, political, and organizational fluctuations.
- Operational Excellence: Pursues and encourages Operational Excellence in all endeavors, leading and striving on a routine basis through identification and implementation of continuous process improvements.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and/or 3-5 years equivalent experience in IT systems/support engineering.
- Analyze storage reporting to identify trending – capacity based needs \ load balancing efforts.
- Experience with Enterprise Backup systems (like IBM or Commvault or Veritas or EMC)
- Working knowledge of Server Disaster Recovery methods
- Working knowledge of VMware Virtual Infrastructure
- Working knowledge of Enterprise systems management solutions (like BMC Patrol)
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now