Founded in 1909, Mutual of Omaha is a solid, family-oriented company that's reliable, trustworthy, knowledgeable and caring. We are a full-service, multi-line provider of insurance and financial services products for individuals, businesses and groups throughout the United States. We are committed to providing outstanding service to our policyholders. Our commitment to customer service is the cornerstone of our vision and values.
In an environment where continuous improvement is sought after by everyone, every day, Mutual of Omaha's Information Service operation seeks individuals who are technically proficient, highly engaged, passionate, creative, innovative, and flexible. This position will play an integral part of a dynamic group that provides value for our customers by leveraging technology to innovate solutions and transform processes.
Oversees and manages the analysis, design, and installation of customer information systems and computing technology infrastructure to contribute to the efficient and effective achievement of business objectives.
Be a Lean-Agile Leader
Act as an enabler for the teams, ultimately responsible for adoption, success, and ongoing improvement of Lean-Agile development. Teach, empower, and engage individuals and teams to reach their highest potential.
- Lead the Change – Steer the organization toward Lean and Agile behaviors, habits, and results. Demonstrating an urgency for change, communicate the need for the change, build a plan for successful change, understand and manage the change process, and address problems as they come up. Be a change agent and take a system view of the transformation.
- Know the Way; Emphasize Lifelong Learning – Create an environment that promotes learning. Encourage team members to build relationships with Customers and Suppliers and expose them to other worldviews. Strive to learn and understand new developments in Lean, Agile, and contemporary management practices. Create and foster formal and informal groups for learning and improvement (Communities of Practice).
- Develop People - Employ a Lean leadership style that focuses on developing skills and career paths for team members rather than on being a technical expert or coordinator to tasks. Create a team jointly responsible for success. Learn how to solve problems together in a way that develops people’s capabilities and increases their engagement and commitment. Respect people and culture.
- Inspire and Align with Mission; Minimize Constraints – Provide missions and vision, with minimum specific work requirements. Eliminate demotivating policies and procedures. Understand the power of self-organizing, self-managing teams. Create a safe environment for learning, growth, and mutual influence.
- Decentralize Decision-Making – Establish a decision-making framework. Empower others by setting the mission, developing people, and teaching them to problem-solve. Take responsibility for making and communicating strategic decisions – those that are infrequent, long lasting, and have significant economies of scale. Decentralize all other decisions.
- Unlock the Intrinsic Motivation of Knowledge Workers – Create an environment of mutual influence. Support Lean-Agile principles and values. Provide purpose and autonomy; help workers achieve mastery of new and increasing skills.
Exhibit the principles and practices of Lean-Agile leadership as described above and:
Personnel and Team Development
- Attract, recruit, and retain capable individuals.
- Helps build high performance teams
- Perform career counseling and personal development.
- Listen and support teams in problem identification, root cause analysis, and decision-making.
- Participate in defining and administering compensation, benefits, and promotions.
- Eliminate organizational impediments and evolve systems and practices in support of Lean-Agile development.
- Evaluate performance, including team input; provide input, guidance, and corrective actions
- Serve as coach and advisor to Agile.
- Remain close enough to the team to add value and to be a competent manager; stay far enough away to let them problem solve on their own.
- Help develop, implement, and communicate the economic framework.
- Participate in Inspect and Adapt workshops.
- Help protect teams from distractions and unrelated or unnecessary work.
- Assist with planning, demos and retrospectives.
- Build partnerships with Suppliers, subcontractors, consultants, partners, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide other resources as necessary for teams and ARTs to successfully execute their Vision.
- Work with engineers and system stakeholders to help ensure alignment and effective execution of Strategic themes.
- Continuously assist in in aligning teams to the system mission and vision.
- Create an environment where the facts are always friendly.
- Provide freedom and safety so individuals and teams are free to innovate, experiment, and even fail on occasion.
- Communicate openly and honestly with all stakeholders.
- Value productivity, quality, transparency, and openness over internal politics and/or waste.
- Understand, teach, or sponsor technical skills development in support of high-quality code, components, systems, and Solutions.
- Understand, support, and apply Agile Architecture.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans, staffs, directs, and controls department activities. This includes all management functions and decisions such as budgeting for and controlling expenses, interviewing and selecting personnel, appraising performance, administering salaries, developing and coaching subordinates, long-range and short-term planning, and ensuring compliance with Corporate Affirmative Action guidelines.
- Articulates a strategic vision, which is clear and based on customer and I/S requirements and technology/architecture direction. Communicates direction in an appropriate manner with clarity to a wide variety of individuals. Develops and implements the changes needed to achieve the vision. Achieves results through appropriate use of personnel, technology, and processes. Provides proactive leadership to projects, assessing the overall viability or long term impact to projects, when major changes occur.
- Functions performed are affected by advances in information systems technology and by changes in corporate information systems requirements caused by economic fluctuations, insurance industry trends, government regulations and other factors. The scope of this position holder's responsibilities range in size from satisfying diverse needs of a single customer to developing a large, complex multiple-function system within a high risk environment.
- This position requires up to 33% travel, which may include flying and/or driving and some overnight stays.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Develops and coaches assigned personnel toward the achievement of career goals and plans while meeting the objectives of the Company. Facilitates horizontal development (growth within a given job level) and vertical development (movement of strong performers to the next job level) where applicable.
- Selects, trains, and appropriately uses staff resources. Aligns or acquires resources needed to deliver effective results. Builds a versatile and flexible organizational unit. Successfully utilizes contract employees where applicable.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with customers and suppliers. Exhibits effective technical/business skills and understanding to conceptually discuss the technologies/processes required to meet customer business requirements. Formalizes, understands, and negotiates customer/supplier priorities. Balances immediate problems with established tactical/strategic I/S and customer plans. Successfully understands the impact of technologies on Company problems and processes. Treats customers with respect, dignity, and appreciation. Adds value to customer interactions.
- Ensures commitments are met exploiting the appropriate defined architecture and infrastructure. Effectively guides and executes project control techniques. Guides development of sound business cases.
- Functions as a positive role model, strong coach, and change agent. Builds a team that understands operation, area, and team visions and strategies. Motivates, inspires, energizes, and helps people overcome barriers.
- Creates a tactical plan that reflects customer needs and I/S' ability to meet them. Participates in the development and maintenance of unit, area, division, and (where applicable) customer plans. Tracks executions, forecasts, balances, and adjusts operating work plans. Anticipates problems and opportunities while operating the planning process, successfully modify plans to accommodate changes, and document/correct problems. Accommodates unplanned circumstances while maintaining focus on tactical/strategic objectives. Searches for and recommends suggestions for expense reduction within their Team, Area and Division.
- Consults and participates in the development and/or selection of technical solutions as required. Understands concepts associated with the I/S architecture and information services industry. Understands the impact of technologies on Company problems and processes. Manages the orderly introduction and change of technology to the company. Proactively seeks new opportunities to creatively apply technology and knowledge within Team, Area, and Division.
- Actively supports and understand I/S Core Processes. Guides the operation of the processes. May actively participate in the construction, enhancement, and deployment of core processes. Searches for and recommends suggestions for process improvements within Team, Area and Division.
- Understand customer business processes. Participates with customer management, as requested, to define, review, or modify business processes. Understands how specified technologies can enable business processes.