Supervisor, Claims (Individual Claims - DI-Accident) - Omaha, NE
Job no: 496138
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Claims/Claims Processing, Leadership
|Leads and supports team functions involving a high level of product complexity and financial risk within the Claims department. Oversees performance of associates and execution of department, division and Company initiatives to improve business processes and foster profitable growth. Responsible for the monitoring and coaching of subordinate staff to ensure performance expectations are met. Participates in short and long term planning and assists with planning. Participates in departmental initiatives utilizing change management techniques and concepts. Demonstrates understanding and ability to practice Lean concepts and techniques.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans, organizes, staffs, leads and controls activities pertaining to the Claims department to include\: planning projects, team budget\; interviewing, selecting and training staff\; monitoring and appraising performance of associates ensuring accountability for service delivery and outcomes. Responsible for human resource management, coaching and motivating associates, administering disciplinary action as appropriate, administering compensation decisions for associates and ensuring that the department complies with affirmative action guidelines.
- Monitors work progress and performance using service operational metrics and observations of staff to ensure and maintain the quality, quantity and time service of work produced by the department within established standards. Develops, implements and monitors quality assurance processes. Prepares and provides reports to management documenting the business results of the department.
- Reviews department reports and corrects discrepancies to avoid reporting errors. Schedules and coordinates management of peak volumes and need-driven staff allocations. Collaborates with supporting departments to resolve any service delivery, system, and/or quality issues. Utilizing appropriate business judgment and sound customer service skills, provides effective support to internal stakeholders and/or external customers. May delegate productivity, quality and/or time service monitoring functions to associates as appropriate and provides necessary oversight to the execution of these functions. Continuously reviews processes and implements change to eliminate waste.
- Remains current on pertinent federal and state legislation affecting business processing and claims handling. Ensures all departmental activities support the division's effort to meet or exceed corporate policies, procedures, and/or directives while meeting or exceeding expense management objectives. Assesses and analyzes any areas of procedural non-compliance, modifies and/or enhances existing processes, and initiates corrective actions where appropriate. Leads and/or participates in cross-functional work groups that analyze, develop and implement processes, procedures and activities that enhance corporate profitability, efficiency and/or quality. Leads the development of short range business plans and budgets. Leads and/or participates in the planning and execution of organizational initiatives.
- Effectively represents the Claims department as a subject matter expert within and outside of the division/operation. Interacts frequently with key external customer and internal stakeholders. Effectively handles escalated issues for team.
- Proficient problem resolution skills. Exercises appropriate discretion in formulating and implementing department business decisions. Works with the Law Division on any legal matters, and may participate in claim depositions or trials. Reviews, analyzes and takes appropriate action to resolve claims issues, attorney inquiries.
- Establish and maintain effective training programs.
- Develops and demonstrates strong leadership skills in the areas of talent, tactical and strategic vision.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Effective management skills, strong leadership, analytical, decision-making, communication and human relations skills.
- Proven effectiveness in managing in a service environment.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and manage multiple projects and activities.
- Sound and independent judgement and the ability to think and conceptualize beyond existing barriers, methods and practices.
- Experience in project management with an understanding of project management methodologies and tools.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Understanding of corporate policies, philosophies and objectives.
- Seasoned insurance background with a thorough understanding of life, health, pension, annuity products, agency systems and supplemental distribution sales.
- Creativity and resilience.
- Knowledge of business processing functions including systems technology, and related federal and state regulations.
- Personal computer operation and skills in various software applications including word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and presentation.
- Long Term Disability Claims experience
- Previous leadership experience in Disability
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4\:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies\: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now