Assoc Database Administrator/Database Administrator (UDB/LUW/DB2)- Omaha, NE
Job no: 496005
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Information Technology
Mutual of Omaha is a full-service, multi-line organization providing insurance and financial services products for individuals, businesses and groups throughout the United States. Founded in 1909, Mutual of Omaha and its affiliate companies manage assets in excess of $28 billion. Known for its strength and stability, Mutual of Omaha is made up of quality, engaged individuals from all backgrounds and walks of life. We’ve made it a priority to create a culture where everyone feels included, valued and empowered. Release your potential and begin a rewarding career with us.
Come be a part of defining the future through the expansion of our data and database services. The Database Administrator is responsible for meeting business objectives by planning for and providing reliable, available and secure infrastructure systems. This includes effectively executing processes such as tactical planning and installation, configuration management, utilization, capacity management, vendor, and customer relationship management and problem resolution related to data infrastructure systems.
Essential Job Functions:
- Database Implementation and Design - design and implement development and production databases for maximal performance, scalability, flexibility, and reliability. Install and maintain DBMS software including patches, fixes and version upgrades. Work closely with developers to create and maintain schema objects, design and debug triggers, stored procedures and user defined functions.
- Performance Monitoring and Tuning -monitor and maintain maximum performance of databases. Identify poorly performing queries and work with development teams to tune accordingly. Monitor database logs, warnings and alerts for hardware, memory or disk space/ capacity and performance issues and take appropriate action. Implement database parameter and configuration changes for optimal performance with the host operating system. Insure the database environment remains in compliance with our vendor license agreements.
- Availability, Backup and Recovery - design and implement processes and procedures to reduce and eliminate database outages and downtime. Implement data backup and recovery procedures to prevent the loss of data from all types of failure. Document, plan and test Disaster Recovery procedures.
- User and Data Security - design, implement and maintain database security strategies that provide the appropriate level of security for users and applications. - Responsible for complying with all Company Information Services policies and standards.
- Responsible for complying with established shop standards for database structure, testing, implementation, organization and communication.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented on technology solutions to protect Company data from intentional or accidental misuse.
- Troubleshooting – Be able to diagnose and troubleshoot complex database and application environments with imprecise information provided by customers and end users. Be able to research, identify problems, and work with vendors for quick problem resolution. Be able to clearly communicate complex technical problems with non-technical people. Be able to work under intense external pressure while quickly resolving critical production problems and issues. Be aware of large financial impacts of decisions and costs of downtime. Be able to effectively triage and manage problems and address most critical issues first.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
This job posting is reflective of the Associate Database Administrator essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. The Database Administrator level has variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the job family.
- 2-4+ years experience with UDB / LUW DB2 DBMS required
- 2-4+ years experience with Aix / Linux operating systems required
- 1-3+ years experience writing SQL programming
- 3+ years experience with database, query, stored procedure and SQL performance tuning
- Knowledge of database physical and logical design principals
- Able to manage and deploy application database modifications
- Able to provide 24x7 on-call support within a team rotation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Propensity toward identifying and implementing on-going process improvement
- Ability to work independently, as well as a collaborative partner on a team.
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Experience with UDB High Availability configurations
- Experience automating UDB database installs
- Experience with Audits of UDB database environments
- 2-4+ years experience supporting 24x7 production database systems
- Experience or willingness to learn additional DBMSs
- Experience or willingness to learn additional operating systems (beyond Aix)
- 4-year degree in Computer Science or related field
- 2+ years of application development experience a plus
- Experience with Patrol/TrueSight &/or DBI UDB Monitoring tools
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now