Benefit Claim Technician (Group Claims-Life) - Omaha, NE or Chattanooga, TN
Job no: 495833
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Claims/Claims Processing, Customer Service
Ensures the accurate, prompt and thorough evaluation of Group Claims (Life, Accident, Critical Illness, Life Waiver of Premium, Long-Term Care and Permanent Total Disability) by analyzing and determining the appropriate action steps while adhering to both internal and external regulations and ensuring an industry leading customer experience. This role has a direct impact on the success of BSD from both a financial and persistency (customer retention) perspective.
The Benefit Claim Tech makes initial claim determinations with minimal ongoing claims management. Performs end to end claims evaluation and adjudication for Group Claims beginning at the point of notification through the maximum benefit / duration of the claim, with the primary accountability being accurate and timely decision making of approved or denied liability benefits for the duration of the claim, as well as communicating decisions both verbally and in writing to claimants and employers.
Demonstrates the ability to develop independent decision making and critical thinking. Claims analysis includes: eligibility determination for benefits, contract analysis, customer service, fraud detection and awareness, financial calculations, analyze and interpret medical information and adhering to all statutory/governmental regulations. This includes analyzing information received and determining if additional information is required to make a benefits decision. This position regularly communicates with employers, claimants and with medical professionals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrates the ability to make sound recommendations and working towards independent decision making throughout the life of the claim based upon claim facts, thorough evaluation, and gathering pertinent information to formulate appropriate action plans.
- Develops file that demonstrates appropriate decision making was used based on documented procedures using claim facts, pertinent policy provisions, customer expectations and special handling agreements.Develops appropriate business relationships and communications with claimant, broker, sales organization, vendor partners, employer and internal partners (e.g. underwriting, legal, etc.). Ensures communications demonstrate professionalism that supports the values of Mutual of Omaha.
- Initiates regular and appropriate communication with claimants, employers and medical professional(s) throughout the life-cycle of the claim.
- Accurately determines financial liability based on salary, other income sources, medical / vocational information and contract language.
- Communicates any changes in claim status to claimants, policyholders, and appropriate Home Office departments.
- Provides various updates to policyholders per contract requirements with a high level of customer service.
- Determines eligibility based on contract language, payroll records, and other supporting documentation.
- Adheres to ERISA and other federal/state laws concerning group disability insurance.
- Demonstrates flexibility and ability to support unique customer requirements.
- Creates written letters for the purpose of providing concise explanations to claimants regarding claims determinations.
- Remains abreast to industry changes, federal and state legislation and regulations, as well as changes in internal processes and procedures.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position is in a fast-paced, high volume environment with set production goals.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- This position is multifaceted and diverse, requiring many different skill-sets in order to be effective including :
- Ability to develop an understanding of complex insurance provisions and contracts.
- Ability to comprehend and apply insurance regulations to claim situations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret vocational and medical information to formulate a claims decision.
- Ability to communicate professionally with a high level of customer service (written and verbal).
- Demonstrate the ability to calculate basic to complex benefits based off contract provisions.
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy, and the ability to work towards a level of independence and apply a sense of urgency.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to move from dependent to independent tasks and decision-making.
- Ability to diffuse situations and escalate when necessary.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proficient with personal computer, Microsoft applications and Mutual of Omaha proprietary applications (ex. GSAP, Fineos).
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance in adherence to department and company attendance expectations.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now