Systems Engineer/Sr Systems Engineer- Omaha, NE
Job no: 495827
Work type: Full Time Regular
Categories: Information Technology
Founded in 1909, Mutual of Omaha is a solid, family-oriented company that's reliable, trustworthy, knowledgeable and caring. We are a full-service, multi-line provider of insurance and financial services products for individuals, businesses and groups throughout the United States. We are committed to providing outstanding service to our policyholders. Our commitment to customer service is the cornerstone of our vision and values.
The Systems Engineer analyzes, develops, modifies, installs, tests and maintains moderately complex Operating Systems within their operating domain and simple inter-domain requirements.
This includes effectively executing processes such as tactical and strategic planning and architecture planning, installation, configuration management, utilization, capacity management, vendor and customer relationship management and problem resolution.
Individuals at this level apply depth of skill to a progressively widening scope. They perform systems activities independently within both single domain and multiple domains. This position may require three to five years of professional experience in the area of specialization. An equivalent combination of education and related experience may also serve to meet these requirements.
The candidate will support all aspects of IBM and ISV product installation, configuration, migration, documentation, trouble shooting, and continuing maintenance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyzes, develops, modifies, installs, tests and maintains moderately complex z/OS and z/VM Operating Systems Software.
- Review and influence ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for Operating Systems, Transactions Managers or Middleware installation.
- Participate in capacity planning and forecasting, system performance analysis and system tuning.
- Participate in Systems Life Cycle Management through monitoring, measuring, and maintaining Operating Systems, Transaction Managers, Enterprise Applications and Middleware software.
- Adhere to Change Management, Incident Management, and Configuration Management policies and procedures.
- Adhere to installation naming conventions in ISV software installation and maintenance activities.
- Manage and scale systems to meet business demands by providing a stable and secure infrastructure.
- Evaluates vendor supplied system software packages and make recommendations to IT management.
- Responsible for complying with all Company Information Services policies and standards.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented on technology solutions to protect Company data from intentional or accidental misuse.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
Individuals in this position have deep technical skills within a single domain and some breadth of knowledge across domains. They typically perform moderately complex systems activities independently within a single domain, but are occasionally inter-domain. In order to build a balanced organization with complementary skills, positions in this job family vary in the depth of technical skills and the breadth of knowledge, skills and competencies beyond one technology domain.
This job posting is reflective of the Systems Engineer essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Sr Systems Engineer level has variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as Systems Engineer.
- Responsibilities and duties include oversight and performance of the following:
- Work collaboratively within the zSystem Team and its customers to maintain the production and test LPARS on the system.
- Install and/or participate with software management and installation. This would include installation and maintenance utilizing the IBM SMP/E product and non-SMPE installations as well.
- Identify the need for software upgrades and patches, as appropriate.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation to support operations and training.
- Strong knowledge of SMP/E, JCL, ISPF, TSO, CLIST/REXX.
- Working knowledge of AbendAid, XPEDITER, Fileaid, etc.
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Mainview, CMF, and Sysview.
- Maintain system software through the use of PTF/ APAR application, in accordance with standard change management practice and without unscheduled service outages.
- Knowledge of z/OS configuration, including configuration changes necessary in the course of software installation, and the HCD tool.
- Ability to perform software changes dynamically, if possible for any particular product.
- Plan and position mainframe environment for business continuity readiness and participate in disaster recovery exercises.
- Provide technical assistance to users and other company personnel.
- Provide support for Mainframe related problems; Identify and successfully troubleshoot problems.
- Perform system audits; Monitor capacity.
- Provide off-hours support for Mainframe related issues as required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent work history and attendance record.
- Knowledge and experience with VTAM/TCPIP, JES2, Assembler, FTP, USS, ServerPac, DFDSS, and IPCS.
- Experience with CA Products CA-1, CA7, CA11, CA-MIM, CA-PDSMan, Librarian, ACF2, and others.
- Experience with JHS, VPS, Control-O, Control-M, Connect Direct, AbendAid, SAS, Syncsort, and others.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now