Work within our team, helping to build out, maintain and troubleshoot our z Server Online Transaction Management infrastructure which is comprised of IMS (TM/DB) & CICS both communicating to DB2.
Analyzes, develops, modifies, installs, tests and maintains complex operating systems software within their operating systems domain and moderately complex inter-domain requirements.
Will serve as part of a team of engineers who collectively demonstrate technical competency & reliability in delivering mission critical infrastructure, and who continually ensure the highest levels of accessibility, optimization, and security. Qualified applicants will have strong analytical skills and at least five years of experience installing, maintaining, tuning and troubleshooting IMS and CICS platforms, as well as strong SMP/e experience. DB2 experience is a major plus. Assembler and SAS coding skills are a major plus. PACBASE experience is also a plus.
Individuals at this level apply depth of skill to a progressively widening scope. They perform complex systems activities independently within both single domain and multiple domains. This position may require five to ten years of professional experience in the area of specialization. An equivalent combination of education and related experience may also serve to meet these requirements.
In order to build a balanced organization with complementary skills, positions in this job family vary in the depth of technical skills and the breadth of knowledge, skills and competencies beyond one technology domain.
A strong understanding of systems programming and control languages are required. Evaluates vendor-supplied systems software packages and makes recommendations to IT management. Performs complex configuration and installation of systems software and prepares technical documentation within their single domain and complex inter-domain configurations. Diagnoses, isolates and debugs complex systems software problems and performs problem resolution. Performs complex utilization, configuration, capacity and performance management tasks within their single domain and moderately complex inter-domain capacity and performance management tasks. Develops and executes disaster recovery procedures and provides Level II technical support for complex system issues. Extensively involved in the strategic, tactical and architectural planning process. The position can have significant impact on corporate finances as well as significant impact on customer duties.
Essential Job Functions:
- Systems Administration: Assures that assigned systems operate at desired efficiency by meeting or exceeding quality and services goals. Provides guidance, direction and systems administration expertise to peers and subordinates and identifies and defines systems administration requirements, goals and objectives.
- Installation Management: Plans, performs, verifies and develops installation documentation for complex hardware and software installations and coordinates moderately complex inter-domain installations to meet design specifications and efficiency. Develops complex operational documentation and procedures. Coordinates and defines tasks. Assures that appropriate operational documentation of systems is current and accurate.
- Problem Resolution: Analyzes and resolves technical problems through coordinating and restoring services minimizing impact to the customer. Analyzes the impact of, isolates and restores services associated with complex technical problems and coordinates resolution of moderately complex inter-domain technical problems. Analyzes, documents, and fixes the root cause of complex problems. Identifies architectural issues and problems. Proactively identifies and resolves potential problems before they impact customers. Is subject to 24-hour call and may be required to work other than normal working hours.
- Utilization Management: Determines, collects and maintains historical metrics and data repositories for complex metrics. Builds and maintains complex workload models. Plans and monitors utilization for and instruments and calibrates complex metrics.
- Configuration Management: For complex intra-domain and moderately complex inter-domain configurations: analyzes technical requirements; identifies and evaluates alternatives to meet requirements; selects target solutions to meet requirements and obtains consensus and approval for target solutions; develops migration plans; and performs resource monitoring and tuning.
- Capacity Management: Gathers complex intra-domain and moderately complex inter-domain capacity requirements, including SLOs. Applies historical trends to capacity requirements, performs forecast analysis, and builds / updates capacity forecasts for complex intra-domain and moderately complex inter-domain environments.
- Customer Relationship Management: Demonstrates a high level of service delivery to ensure customer satisfaction. Builds and maintains relationships with peers, Area and I/S Managers, and Area and IS Area Directors and the Operations Management Division Director. Understands and articulates Area services, products, and value to application areas and other Areas within the Division. Proactively works to solve business, application, and infrastructure problems and coordinates activities between multiple Areas within the Operations Management Division to affect resolution. Provides interaction with business areas to identify and prioritize customer requirements.
- Tactical Planning: Develops, monitors, updates, and executes moderately complex intra-domain and moderately complex inter-domain tactical plans. Provides input and participates in development of highly complex tactical plans. Develops and maintains the tactical planning process.
- Strategic Planning: Develops, monitors, updates and executes intra-domain strategic plans and assists in the development of inter-domain strategic plans. Presents intra-domain strategies to various diverse audiences. Ensures alignment of intra-domain strategic plans with application strategic plans. Maintains a mid-range (12-18 month) view of industry trends and infrastructure and application requirements. Understands infrastructure requirements and strategies and aligns them to Area objectives. Provides input to maintaining the strategic planning process. Champions potentially revolutionary or progressive ideas and provides technical leadership to the Division.
- Architecture: Participates in Architecture Review process. Participates in development of technical architecture and the development and promotion of technical architecture compliance. Maintains an awareness of the application view (application architecture) in infrastructure. Provides input to maintaining the architecture process.
- Vendor Management: Works with vendors to resolve problems and escalates resolution within the management chain when necessary. Understands and articulates infrastructure strategies and objectives to vendors. Participates in contract negotiations and reviews and in the Vendor Report Card process. Provides feedback to vendors on desired product direction.
- Project and Program Management: Continually improves the efficiency of work processes and applies knowledge to increase throughput for deliverables. Coordinates, monitors and manages the technical aspects of projects including project budget, activity identification, definition and estimation. Works closely with Project Manager and Project Sponsor. Works with other Project Managers and Technical Leads to identify and manage dependencies between projects and activities.
- Operational Excellence: Pursues and encourages Operational Excellence in all endeavors, leading and striving on a routine basis through identification and implementation of continuous process improvements.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
This job posting is reflective of the Systems Engineer essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Sr Systems Engineer level has variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- Technical Knowledge: Strong understanding of assigned technologies with a focus on analysis, development, modification, installation, testing, maintenance, and documentation. Diagnoses, isolates, and debugs problems. Continually increases technical knowledge of assigned technologies and domains and demonstrates application of that knowledge. Achieves appropriate certifications and educational advancements.
- Leadership and Authority: Articulates and advocates new technical and non-technical ideas within the Team, Area or Division and uses leadership rather than authority to accomplish results within the Area and Division; assumes a role of authority within the Team, Area or Division as necessary, but does not abuse authority; gains authority through trust and respect and sets an example for coworkers; and delegates authority and activities, and empowers subordinates to make decisions.
- Communication: Communicates complex technical concepts to technical audiences and division management; complex intra-domain and moderately complex inter-domain technical issues and problems to vendors; and with business and I/S customers as needed to solve problems and install and test complex technical components.
- Negotiation: Obtains agreement or consensus from multiple parties within Team, Area and Division; earns trust and seeks win-win solutions within the Team, Area and Division; participates in vendor contract negotiations; and manages infrastructure expectations within Team, Area, Division and Operation.
- Coaching and Mentoring: Is coached and mentored and coaches and mentors peers and subordinates; helps Team or Area stay focused on overall goal; exhibits a can-do attitude and inspires others to excel; develops team spirit within Team or Area and develops performance standards for Team or Area.
- Planning and Perspective: Performs tactical and complex planning; formulates and articulates mid-term, enterprise-wide technical vision; anticipates and prepares for emerging application and infrastructure needs; uses Operation, Division, Area, and Team goals and objectives to prioritize work and guide actions; develops and applies deep technical skills with the widest product / complexity scope in a single domain; and to increases breadth of knowledge across multiple domains.
- Policies, Process and Procedures: Acts in accordance with established guidelines and follows processes and procedures; and identifies requirements for, develops, maintains and manages Area-wide and some Division-wide processes and procedures.
- Teamwork: Works with peers, subordinates, Division management, and business customers to build positive relationships and maintains constructive working relationships despite disagreement; assist others when necessary to achieve Team, Area, and Division goals. Does not ignore conflict and instead uses a win-win approach to resolve conflict within their sphere of influence.
- Flexibility: Effectively deals with ambiguity, unexpected events, and changing application and infrastructure requirements; juggles multiple activities and projects simultaneously; and handles and manages technical and organizational stress.
- Initiative: Undertakes activities on their own; communicates status appropriately; anticipates subsequent projects and programs; keeps informed of technology and industry trends; and learns and applies new skills and technologies.
- Creativity and Innovation: Sees the bigger picture within their Division and Operation; sees and articulates multiple solutions to technical problems within their Team, Area and Division; challenges conventional practices within Team, Area and Division and adapts established methods for new uses; and evaluates new technologies and concepts for solving existing problems in Team, Area and Division.
- Decisiveness: Makes good tactical and technical decisions and shows accountability for those decisions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and/or 3-5 years equivalent
- Strong experience with SMP/e
- Ability to integrate and monitor major z/OS online subsystems and associated infrastructure.
- Oversight of infrastructure including installation & maintenance, configuration management and system verification of IMS and CICS subsystems with MQ & IIB interfaces and the supporting systems management tools.
- Ability to identify potential issues and proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability and performance.
- Collaborate & consult with application teams to monitor and test performance of application changes, foreseeing potential bottlenecks and identifying possible solutions.
- Implementations with security, backup & recovery in mind are a top priority.
- Competency in writing and maintaining system exits and usermods.
- Consistently and successfully provide 2nd and 3rd level support as well as participate in the Online Team’s pager rotation.
- Excellence in communication as a liaison with vendors, IT personnel and other internal customers to resolve issues.
- Experience with automation software.
- Strong networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP) a plus.
- Assembler and SAS coding skills are a major plus.
- PACBASE experience is also a plus.