Job no: 494390
Work type: Full Time Regular
The Litigation Paralegal position at Mutual of Omaha prepares, analyzes, and summarizes legal documentation, performs legal research, manages litigation dockets and provides assistance to contribute to the effective legal services for the companies.
This job posting is reflective of the Paralegal essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Sr. Paralegal and Paralegal Specialist levels have variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
Essential Job Functions:
- Review and manage assigned litigation files by working directly with the in-house attorney, business units, outside and opposing counsel.
- Perform substantial work throughout the entire litigation lifecycle, including performing all elements of litigation case management, discovery, pre-trial and trial activities.
- Coordinate, gather and review documents and evidence in paper and electronic form, assist attorney with initial file review, make appropriate recommendations, and prepare responses to requests for admissions, interrogatories and requests for production of documents.
- Draft legal documents and correspondence such as petitions, settlement agreements, letters and memoranda.
- Coordinate, prepare for and assist the in-house attorney and outside counsel with witness preparation for depositions and trial.
- Utilize on-line legal research tools such as LEXIS to research and extract legal information, summarize and relay findings to the in-house attorney and outside counsel.
- Maintain the case management system throughout the litigation lifecycle.
- Provide legal support to the Law Operation and business units through the performance of special projects.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Extensive knowledge of the American legal system, including federal and state court systems and legislative and administrative systems and substantive, procedural, public, private and civil law; the ability to identify sources of American law.
- Sound use of judgment; ability and initiative to work independently; solid decision-making skills.
- Effective human relation and oral and written communications skills.
- Attention to detail, time management planning and organizational skills and the ability to work under pressures of deadlines and established priorities. Uncompromising use of discretion and commitment to confidentiality.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Excellent technical knowledge of computerized legal research systems, the Internet, word processing and spreadsheet software, legal software applications and programs and ability to operate a personal computer; ability to develop search strategies, report formats and extract pertinent information appropriately.
- Knowledge of Operation policies, practices, and procedures, knowledge of overall company structures.
- Bachelor Degree in Paralegal Studies from an ABA accredited Paralegal instute or Bachelor Degree with a Paralegal Certificate from an ABA accredited Paralegal institute
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a paralegal.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405, option 4.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now