Mutual of Omaha is a Fortune 500 mutual insurance and financial services company based in Omaha, Nebraska. The company was founded in 1909 and holds approximately $40 billion in assets. The company employs close to 5,000 individuals and focuses on individual and group life insurance, Medicare supplement insurance, disability insurance products, annuities and a rapidly growing bank. A mutual company, its subsidiaries include United of Omaha Life Insurance Company, Companion Life Insurance Company, United World Life Insurance Company, Omaha Insurance Company, Mutual of Omaha Medicare Advantage Company, Omaha Health Insurance Company, Mutual of Omaha Investor Services, Omaha Financial Holdings and East Campus Realty.
The firm prides itself on its solid financial status boasting over $3 billion in capital and surplus, and A ratings from the all the leading rating agencies. Given their good standing and focus on continued company growth, Mutual of Omaha is in a strong position to focus on a transformational strategic vision. This vision is championed by a visionary CEO and ELT who are deeply invested and committed to the strategy that will result in an insight-driven customer-centric operating model. The new model requires the upgrading of several key functional areas to include customer insight development and management. The evolution of the insights function is of paramount importance and as a result deemed a key strategic focus as Mutual of Omaha embarks on the journey.
As Mutual of Omaha’s strategy pivots from a product to a consumer focused one so too has the importance and scope of the Corporate Development function. More so than ever before there is a heighten necessity to look outside of our four walls for growth opportunities in new products and capabilities to help our firm drive this strategic transformation, further unlock the power of our brand and most importantly help fill our customer’s needs.
The company is looking for a Corporate Strategy Analyst who can help Mutual on this strategic journey by driving external focus via strategic analysis of industry trends, product categories, our competitors and the ever growing InsurTech landscape. In addition Mutual is looking for someone with a strong analytical and collaborative skill set that will have the ability to support and drive some of the company’s largest strategic initiatives including M&A, strategic partnerships, innovation or other business portfolio transformation opportunities.
Known for its strength and stability Mutual of Omaha is made up of quality, engaged individuals from all backgrounds and walks of life. We’ve made it a priority to create a culture where everyone feels included, valued and empowered. Release your potential and begin a rewarding career with us.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform competitor, industry, market research including reviewing analyst calls/reports, summarizing industry publications and developing standardized analysis to drive insights for business partners
- Participate in the development of investment thesis and recognize attractive potential investments. Assist business partners in the identification and evaluation of new strategic business and expansion opportunities.
- Perform sophisticated financial modeling and valuation analysis for identified acquisition and licensing opportunities. Create and manage financial models that address acquisition and corporate business initiatives
- Support Innovation initiatives by driving enhanced research and insights of the InsurTech “ecosystem” including start-ups, VCs and other external partners to find solution for key business challenges and drive future growth
- Participate and assist in management of the due diligence and integration process for active projects.
- Contribute in making recommendations for strategic business acquisitions and other corporate initiatives based on financial and operational analysis and data modeling.
- Utilize available internal and external data and databases to execute models to predict business opportunities and evaluate processes to support the business goals and objectives.
- Support continued end to end process improvement for the Corporate Development from Target Identification, Diligence and Integration.
- Participate in the development of market analysis to assess the value of new acquisition and licensing opportunities.
- Contribute in creating a culture of learning and development both of one’s self and those around them by participating in initiatives such as cross-functional stretch assignments or recruiting/mentoring of interns.
- This position requires extensive or prolonged typing/keyboarding.
- This position requires up to 33% travel, which may include flying and/or driving and some overnight stays.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- 2+ years experience in Insurance and/or Financial Services industries
- 2+ years experience in financial analysis and modeling
- Proven skill in analyzing and presenting alternatives to current processes in order to work beyond the status quo and move the organization to the next level
- Strong capability to collect, screen and analyze data to develop appropriate value propositions of current and future opportunities
- Ability to look beyond the numbers and provide value added analysis of a business initiative
- Ability to conduct structured strategic analysis (structuring issues and analyzing alternative solutions)
- Proficient in establishing strong relationships, credibility, trust and respect with all levels of internal and external business partners and customers
- Strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills across multiple levels of the organization
- Excellent problem solving abilities in order to leverage opportunities through detailed data analysis
- Sound judgement, integrity, confidentiality, and decision making abilities
- Bachelors/Masters degree in finance, accounting, economics, or related field
- Considerable knowledge of applicable accounting standards, practices and interpretations including GAAP and IFRS
- Experience within a consulting firm, investment bank, private equity, or corporate strategy group
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Knowledge of Project Management Methodologies and Tools
- Considerable knowledge and experience with various software packages